Key Contacts

Contact Us

Our History

St Joseph’s is the Chapel of the Daughters of Wisdom of the La Sagesse order.The parish is fortunate to have had the use of the Chapel for regular Mass and other services over many years.

The history of the Catholic Parish of St Joseph’s, Romsey, has to be connected with the story of the La Sagesse Convent at Abbey House. St Joseph’s Chapel is situated in the grounds, which for many centuries belonged to the old Benedictine Order of nuns and stands almost within the shadow of the Abbey Church, which is all that remains of that ancient foundation.

The La Sagesse Sisters (Daughters of Wisdom) had been founded in Brittany, France, in 1703, to care for the needs of the sick, the poor and orphans, as well as to educate the young. St Louis Marie de Montfort, their founder, also established a company of priests and brothers – the Montfort Missionaries. Both of these orders continued to be linked with Romsey in our time by Abbey House and Montfort College (now closed).

The Parish and the Daughters of Wisdom continue to work closely together over the development of St Joseph’s to the benefit of the Catholic community in Romsey.